The Assistant Controller will be responsible for the month-end close and the work of three staff accountants. The position reports to the Controller and is responsible for providing financial decision support to the Corporate Office. This position supports the accounting department and manages the administration of accounting policies, procedures, and programs. In addition, the position serves as a liaison between the division and the corporate accounting departments, the compliance department, and the IT department.
Essential Job Functions:
- Month-end: Review, analyze and approve journal entries and data uploads for accuracy and completeness, review monthly account analysis that are prepared by staff accountants, and review financial and operational reports to identify and explain fluctuations in performance.
- Assist the Corporate Controller in ensuring timeliness and accuracy of the financial statements.
- Prevent inaccuracies in financial statements by setting up and/or maintaining internal control systems and adopting proper policies for financial reporting.
- Developing innovative and effective solutions to problems in financial analysis, reporting and forecasting through individual effort or as part of a team.
- Assist in managing the accounts payable process to ensure proper invoice coding, proper expense approval, and timely vendor payment.
- Monitor payroll to ensure employees are properly coded to minimize the need for allocations.
- Ensure division compliance with company policies and ensure controls are in place to protect company assets from loss and to protect confidential information from disclosure.
- Assist all facilities to optimize parts inventory levels.
- Provide the accounting department with field information needed for the month-end accounting close.
- Mentor, train and develop department staff accountants.
- Develop and monitor daily and weekly reports of operations activities and key performance measures.
- Monitor the company’s compliance with its disposal plan and report on deviations from the plan.
- Identify cost reduction opportunities including improvements in the utilization of labor, disposal sites, and vehicle parts. Identify opportunities to streamline administrative processes.
- Prepare ad hoc analyses at the direction of the Controller.
- Serve as a link between the site and IT by providing on-site technical assistance with systems.