The Operations Manager – Bins/Containers is responsible for leading the fabrication, refurbishment, repair, painting, and cleansing of dumpster bins/containers for commercial and residential customers, as well as bin/container delivery and pick up, in a geographically dispersed area. The position will lead a team of Operations Supervisors, Dispatchers, Operational Clerks, Drivers and various Metal Shop personnel. The Operations Manager works with his or her General Manager and other managers in the business unit to execute a local market strategy that complements the Areas overall strategic operating plans and implements tactical initiatives to drive functional excellence and budget achievement. The Operations Manager oversees all matters related to bins/containers, oversees effective safety and accident prevention programs, and leads all operations to ensure compliance with standards; and drives change management initiatives to introduce and sustain new processes that contribute to the growth and durability of the operations of the business unit.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide leadership for the bins/containers operations of a business unit by providing management oversight to operations supervisors, dispatchers, operational clerks, drivers and shop personnel, who are responsible for the route system and maintenance for commercial and residential customers.
- Manage staff, including hiring, training, coaching, performance management; develop supervisory goals and objectives; and effective resolution of safety issues and claims.
- Implement and execute plans to complement the business units strategic and operating plan; champion the execution of tactical initiatives within the Business Unit to maximize the customer experience, growth and durability, while optimizing profitability.
- Drive functional plans within the operations group to execute against the business plan to achieve or exceed the Business Units budget and strategic plan to grow the business, achieve customer experience goals, and meet or exceed service business objectives.
- Lead all matters related to bins/containers operations to ensure overall operations meet safety, compliance and P & L objectives.
- Ensure maximum productivity and route management systems for routes and establish productivity goals where needed; ensure adherence to operating standards; and manage labor hours and other expenses.
- Interact with customers and local, state and federal government employees to resolve customer service concerns; ensure regulatory compliance standards are met.
- Oversee effective safety and accident prevention programs to ensure all reasonable action are taken to prevent accidents and injuries; ensure a safe and productive work environment for all employees; implement and maintain and effective loss control and safety program.
- Lead operations to ensure compliance with all standards including environmental, operating, regulatory, safety, accounting and ethics.
- Approve expenses and manage budget for the operations department including approval of purchase orders and vendor pricing.
- Develop a best-in-class team and workplace culture and effectively manage performance and talent development; drive best-practice sharing.
- Build and maintain strong and effective relations with relevant government, community and environmental groups.