The Load Checker is responsible for inspecting waste loads, identifying hazardous and other unauthorized materials, and preventing those materials from entering the transfer stations and landfills.
Essential Job Functions:
- Enforce Landfill and Transfer Station safety requirements and procedures.
- Screen customer loads to keep hazardous waste and other prohibited materials out of the transfer stations and landfills.
- Keep accurate daily records on prohibited waste and customer counts.
- Advises customers on proper handling and classification of prohibited wastes.
- Responsible for keeping site clean, orderly and free of litter.
- Interact with customers and general public in a courteous and professional manner at all times.
- Sorts recyclable items from tipping area as safety permits.
- Communicate effectively with all team members.
- Communicate with and take direction from a supervisor.
- Immediately report all emergencies (e.g. fires, accidents) to the proper manager/supervisor.
- Attend classes and meetings for training certification, such as hazardous waste spotter and continuing education credits, meeting safety requirements.
- Train in HAZWOPER and respond to and contain spills. Safely clean up the area around an accidental effluent spill.
- Complies with information provided on Material Safety Data Sheets for all products. Handles and stores items properly.
- Observes and adheres to proper tag out and lockout of vehicles and equipment in accordance with clearance procedures, policies, and practices.
- Follow all safety policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.